AIIMS director Randeep Guleria pointed out that there has been rise in fungal infection in last few weeks .Black fungus mostly found in those who recovering from covid -19 in several states.
Cases of deadly fungal infection are on the rise in India amid the second wave of covid -19. Some states like Rajasthan, Gujarat, Punjab , odhisa, Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Telangana are the states of cases of black fungus .
What is Mucormycosis-
Mucormycosis means black fungus infection. Mucormycosis caused due to fungus Mucor which is present on wet surfaces. Mucormycosis causes death in some cases. It is present in environment it’s part of nature and it can effect on those areas which enhales air.i.e.nose , sinus or lungs .Due to excessive use of steroids the no.of cases of Mucormycosis are greater during the second wave.
What is steroids-
Doctor believe that the use of steroids used to save severe and artically ill covid -19 patients may trigger Mucormycosis. steroid reduce immunity and push up blood sugar levels.But moderate use of steroid is very effective to recover covid patients.
Mucormycosis mostly seen in –
- patients with immunocompromised systems and with poor control of diabities at higher risk .
- who transplants
- who have been on ventilator for a prolonged period are in high risk.
- the patients who needs more steroids to recover from covid -19 because steroids reduce immunity and push up blood sugar level.
- Lesser risk in children because they not require steroid
- 40 above are diabetic , are more prone
- mostly found in recoverd covid -19 patients
- Swelling on one side of the face
- Discoloration on mouth
- Decreased sensation in any part of the face
- Nose getting blocked
- Loosening of a tooth
- Blured or double vision
- Chest pain
- Breathing difficulties
- Bleeding from nose , nasal or sinus congestion.
- Committing of blood.
If you sees this symptoms then immediately speak to doctor and get tested for black fungus. Immediately consult your doctor’s. Black fungus can be treated if detected early and if the fungal infection is limited only to the nasal cavity and sinus.
Causes due to –
- Due to wearing unwashed masks
- Usage of one mask for long time
- Excess use of steroid for covid patients to recover from covid .
- Reusing of mask could causes fungus.
- Poorely ventilated rooms which are less airy.
- Unhygienic masks.
- Irrational use of steroids because steroids increases the blood sugar level which can become hard to control.
- Because of giving cold oxygen directly from the cylinder is very dangerous.
How to AVOID Mucormycosis-
- If you use cloth masks then wash it daily.
- If you use N-95 masks then discard it after five times usage.
- Don’t use the face mask for longer time.
- Kept two masks per family member .
- Use the masks rotatory .keep one mask for everyday.
- Caused by exposure to Mucor called mucormycete commonly found in soil, plants , manure ,and decaying fruit and vegetables.
- Misuse of steroids is a major cause behind the spread of mucormycosis a rare infection also known as black fungus disease.
- Moderate use of steroid is good .
- Use normal saline in the humidifier bottle and changed daily.
- One who can take steroids should keep checking their blood sugar level.
So these are some knowledge about how to avoid black fungus.
So, these is some knowledge about the symptoms, how does black fungus causes and how to avoid black fungus. We have to fight against covid and black fungus. So, stay home stay safe….!!